Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I am replacing an existing bathtub with a new one. When I

Customer Question

I am replacing an existing bathtub with a new one. When I took out the old tub, there was some water leakage and I have white mold on a section of the wood support beams (about 1.5 feet x 6". How can I get rid of and treat that area for the mold before I install in the new tub?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.A 50/50 bleach /water solution will kill the mold as well as anything else. Be sure the area is dry before you put the new tub back.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hi Rick,

It is my understanding that wood is porous and that a frequent consequence is that the mold has permeated the wood and therefore using Bleach will not be effective on wood.

I am looking for a solution to this problem that will not only kill any mold on the surface but will resolve the issue completely.

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.
Your understanding is mistaken. Mold doesn't have "roots" and it only grows on wet surfaces. So once you kill the existing mold with bleach the mold won't come back as long as the surface stays dry. Mold spores are everywhere in the air. New mold grows when these air borne spores colonize a surface that has enough moisture to support their growth.