Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I own a 2 story home in Columbus OH with an attic that covers (counting the basement) 320

Customer Question

I own a 2 story home in Columbus OH with an attic that covers (counting the basement) 3200 square feet of space. It uses gas heating and was built in 1997. Terminex is to insulate my attic with blown in cellulose. All of the old insulation has to go due to mice. They wanted to put enough material in to achieve an R value of 90. I told them I wanted to keep it down to within the 49 to 60 range. Where should my home fall within this range? What would be the material cost to increase from an R value of 49 to 60? Will my R value drop over the years as the material settles? If so, by how much? Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.The Energy Star recommendations for your area are R 49 to 60. You should ask Terminix what the cost difference will be if they are doing the work. You might expect an ~15 to 20% installed cost increase from R49 to R60. Settling is minimal and not materially significant. Given the heating cost savings going with R60 is the better choice if you plan on staying in your house for more than 5 years.
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.
Do you have any more questions?