Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

My Apollo Electric Driveway Gate won't close. When I push the

Customer Question

My Apollo Electric Driveway Gate won't close. When I push the button on the box or use my remote it will close only partly then stop and then open back out again. The Hard Stop button will flash and I've hit the reset for that, but it doesn't seem to help
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. 76 % battery charge is not significantly low, I wouldn't worry about that. But, the retracting of the gate, only partially closing... that could mean some trouble. Specifically, the gate may have a 'knotty place' or point of difficulty of operation in its course. When the opener motor senses a certain amount of resistance in closing, it will interpret it as a physical obstruction, a person or a car, etc., and will open again. Two things can be done:1. crank the door, manually, along its course up to the point where it retracts. See if there is a genuine blockage in the course, the track, or anything... if there is, you will feel a great deal of resistance at that point and should not force it shut at all.- If the resistance at that point is severe, you will need to call a gate repair technician to repair the faulty track, or other problem, that is causing blocking of the closing action at that point (and you should mark the point for him, though he'll find it himself too, perhaps. It might save time.)- If, on the other hand, the resistance at that point is slight, and can be cranked past by hand with a minimum of extra force, you may just solve the problem this way: 2. ... go to the opener motor. Look for a dial adjustment labeled 'Force' or 'Strength' or the like. Set it one or two points higher, then try shutting the gate again. With sufficient force / indifference to resistance to closing, the gate may work just fine.