Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft

Garage door opener not working with remote. one of the sensor

Customer Question

Garage door opener not working with remote. one of the sensor eyes wires was cut. I stripped the wires to reconnect but green light doesn't come on on the sensor eye. Do I need to buy new sensor eye?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
hi......... it could be you think you got them to align the right way ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
yes. I slowly maneuvered the sensor eye to align with the other. sensor seemed to be aligned. No light ever blinked on. The garage door opener is wayne dalton. the sensor eyes have wires that snap into the back with a harness onto two wires sticking out the back
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
did you try changing the batteries or reprogramming the remote? I need some questions answered if you could 1-) The make WAYNE DALTON and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it? 2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner 3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering? 4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes 5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button 6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage 7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I need a special connector to reconnect wires? Just twisted together. Looks like older model. HBW0777? or part number 41A4252-6A
Don't have manual and can't find online either.
Batteries are fine in remote.
Main sensor has bright green light on.other season light isn't coming on. Not flickering
Wall control works to open and close door
As I stated, the wire leading up to the sensor was cut. I stopped the wires and twisted them together. Maybe need a better connector
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
no you dont need a special connector ....the way you did it is fine ........but see if one of the wires has an indicator on it like a white stripe ........they have to match up with the splice
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
did that. matched up side with writing on in.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
okay 2 things we can do ...............reprogram the remote .............test the sensors
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok. but to be clear, one sensor's light isn't coming on so I don't know if reprogramming remote would help. Fixed the other door this morning that wasn't working by realigning sensor and green light cam on and then everything worked fine. But that's realignment. How do we test the sensor?
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
where is your splice? it about a foot away on both sensors?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
splice only on one sensor. about a foot away from sensor.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
you think we could talk on the phone there is a lot I have to ask...........JA requires an additional charge though
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
you there?
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
I hope I have been of some help and you would consider a good ratingThankseddie