Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft

I live in southwest Kansas. I have owned my home years

Customer Question

I live in southwest Kansas. I have owned my home for 10 years and operated the Rain Bird Under Ground Sprinkler System since purchase. I have not had too much trouble other than replacing a few heads and a valve. pretty simple to operate. 7 total valves and 7 separate watering zones with 3 or 4 Rain Bird 5004 sprinkler heads in each zone. On 1 zone that feeds 3 heads, the last head in the run does not have very much pressure. The other 2 spray very well. The pressure will not even pop the head up. It just bubbles up some water. I replaced the head with a new one thinking it was plugged or something . Still no pop up. When I pull the head up manually it will spray water and stay up, but I will only spray at a fairly small stream low to the ground. maybe 1/3 of what the others do. when I unscrewed the old head there was pressure coming out of the open pipe. not sure if it was enough to pop up the head and spray well. No leaks that is making water come up form the ground or even wet area in yard. Heavy clay topsoil. there is not a filter installed in the sprinkler system and the water is very hard and full of calcium. The bothersome thing is that all of the other 23 heads are working fine. Even if the poly pipe between the bad head and the good ones was pinched down or something, I wouldn't think this would reduce pressure. Seems to me like it would reduce flow, but not necessarily pressure. Any thoughts? Thanks, Jerry
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jerry I don't know if you have done this but after removing the head you have to flush it out really do that but carry a plug and cap it (try to do it before you turn it off) so that dirt will not back flow into the pipe until the excess amount of water drains back into the ground around the head......then take that sprinkler head that you have to a sink or a hose ...........take it apart to get any type of grit off of it because that would impede it from popping up too...........lift the pop-up and run your hand over it to clean the stem..........if in case this doesn't work you have to see if there is a leak from the last head to that one by walking along to see if the ground is saturated where you believe the pipe is...........try that and let me know Thankseddie
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will do that. The thing that is bothersome is that even when I manually pop It up it just does not have any pressure. It only sprays out 5 or 6 feet in a small stream low to the ground. I've been walking along the area with no leak detected. Poly pipe is 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" size and about 1' deep in the ground. I have dug it up in 2 areas and do not have any water running along the pipe into the holes. I will work on the possible plugging up issue that you spoke of above. Possibly pipe has something in it.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
yeah you never know ...........maybe a kink like you stated or a clog of some sort is always a process of elimination........something to trace ...........but I would try that flushing it out really well and see...........since it is at the end of the run and it is poly it might even have a split in it by the fitting and clamp........they are notorious for that ........but of course you would have to dig it up some to verify.............again keep me in touch so if I can offer anything else I will thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok, I will take a look at it over the next couple of days. Ill keep you posted.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
sounds good............... I am looking forward in helping you get up and running again
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
I hope I have been of some help and you would consider a good ratingThankseddie
Expert:  Eddie replied 5 months ago.
I hope you found my answers to your questions helpful and of sound value and would consider a positive rating so I may receive credit for my help. I'm very passionate and proud of my work here and the positive ratings given by clients like you!Thankseddie