Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

The walls of the foundation have become chalky. The home is

Customer Question

The walls of the foundation have become chalky. The home is sixteen years old. Is this normal wear and tear or something else?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 9 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.If this chalky-ness is uniform throughout the foundation then it's an artifact of too much water in the mix of the original pour. Since the load on a house foundation is not going to test the strength of the concrete this isn't a cause for concern.If the chalk is localized then it's efflorescence which results from ground water precipitating out the dissolved minerals in the water. This fairly common phenomenon also not a cause for concern