Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

RE: Genie Promax 2 The opener will not complete either

Customer Question

RE: Genie Promax 2
The opener will not complete either the up or down cycle under load or not under load. The sensor lights are solid red and green on the sensors and the load control is on max. Whats wrong?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a vast array of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 38 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. So if I can ask you to take the time and answer, to the best of your knowledge. I am not there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. My goal today will be to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer to earn an excellent service rating from you.If I may ask:1-) The make GENIE and model PRO MAX II and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary? We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondenceIf by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.And thank you for your help and assistanceeddie
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1. Yes Genie, model Promax 2. I cannot go to the garage at the moment. No manual.
2. More than 10, less than 20.
3. I already told you the sensor lights are on, not flickering.
4. One wall control and one remote..
5. Nothing flashing on the opener.
6. no kids, no disruptions. The other door works fine.
7. I can fix anything, but I'm wondering if this unit can be repaired without a new circuit board.
The door can be opened and closed if I use the wall switch. The door will move 6" to a foot and then it will reverse or stop. I have to keep pushing the button until I get the door opened or closed. Its easier to release the door from the chain and raise it manually.
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.
we can look for this..........if the door... while operating some how hits a bind or gets pinched even in the slightest way it could reverse the process so we will look for some indicators if we don't find anything then it is going to point to the logic board ..........okay I would like for you to close the door and then go to each of the rollers and make sure they have at least a 1/4 inch of play in them when you move them in and out..........then you could look for any screw head on the rails that might be scraped.......make sure it is lubricated by adding a little more grease or moving an excess amount to the rollers............let me know how we fare here thanks eddie
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Eddie,I told you in my initial message that the door opener acts the same whether or not it is under load!
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.
so when you say under load I assume you are meaning pushing the wall control ..........and not under you disconnected and it works fine manually?..........because you also said it doesn't complete an up or down both waysI am trying to get you to a solution .................it's all a process...........I didn't see any harm or a cost to you if you tested those rollers...........so if you could explain both to me so we are on the same page..........i will try my best to comply and not get on your bad side as it seems I am doing
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
UInder load means with the door attached to the chain. The motor will not complete a cycle whether the door is attached to the chain or not.
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.
Okay so lets assume you ran checks for opening the door manually .......the sensors..........the force and limit controlthe other thing is to see if a gear has broken and needs to be replaced..........so inspect above the opener and look for this ....maybe a plastic or nylon part where it meets the drive