Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft

We recently moved into a house with a 1996 Liftmaster garage

Customer Question

We recently moved into a house with a 1996 Liftmaster garage door opener. The wall button, when pushed, will open and close the door. However, the handheld remote will not operate the door. We changed the battery in the handheld but it still will not operate the door. Do you have any suggestions on other troubleshooting actions we should try?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
Hi Dawn ...........we can try a hard reset and if doesn't work I can steer you to a couple of other things to try..........hopefully we will get you up and running okay what I would like to do is:HARD RESET: unplug the opener what should be for a good the meantime remove the batteries from the transmitters including key less..........plug back in the opener and replace the batteries which should be fresh Do you have a manual? and do you know how to program the transmitters?Let me know these answers and how it goesThankseddie
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, the hard reset and fresh batteries did not solve the problem. We do not have a manual. The unit is 20 years old and the transmitter function, on the base unit may be shot. Thanks for the idea.
Expert:  Eddie replied 6 months ago.
Hi Dawn .......... I am going to need more info when you can..........With your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to try to get this issue resolved. 1-) The make LIFTMASTER and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it? NO2-) how old it might be 20 YEARS and if you are the original owner3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light that is on steady and not flickering?4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control YES and how many remotes ONE? NOT WORKING?5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing? The color of the learn button?6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary? We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondenceIf by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.And thank you for your help and assistanceeddie