Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

Im looking to install porcelain tiles in my office and have

Customer Question

Im looking to install porcelain tiles in my office and have a few questions regarding the install.
1. My concrete floor for the most part is level but there are certain areas where its not. What is the best way to level it for tile installation?
2. I would like the look of one big piece of tile and not have any grout. Any disadvantages to doing that now and in the long run?
3. What is the best maintenance for porcelain tiles?
4. What should I do when it rains? I dont want my customers slipping.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.1. It depends on how bad is it. If it's only off a 1/4 or so then you can just lay the mud on heavier in those spots. Otherwise use a leveling compound like Level Quick (available at Home Depot)2. The floor has to be perfectly level (or your tile has to be set perfectly level) to do this. It's a challenge for a pro. Probably beyond the ability of a DIY'er.​3. Porcelain tile requires no maintenance 4. Provide a a mat for them to dry their shoes. There is no product you can add to the tile to increase wet traction.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
But you neglected the most important consideration when setting tile on a slab. You should use a crack isolation membrane under the tile or any crack that develops in the slab will transfer through to the tile.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I dont want to use any grout and want it to look like one single piece of tile. Any disadvantages to this method?

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Porcelain tile is not designed to be set with no grout so there will be tiny gaps between each tile even if you butt them tight. Only stone tile is made to butt tight. Beyond that and the perfectly level caveat; no disadvantages. If you've butted the tile together and are OK with the look then there's no good reason to not set them without grout.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

When the grout gets dirty whats the best and easiest way to clean it?

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
The most effective grout cleaner is bleach. 1/2 cup to a gallon of hot water. Mop it on and let it sit for 15 + minutes then rinse it off. Little or no scrubbing required. The best option is to use a dark(er) colored grout which won't sow the dirt particularly in high traffic areas. Light colored grouts tend to darken up pretty quick with traffic. Grout sealer does nothing to prevent this and is (in my opinion) a waste of money.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

what grout would look good with this tile?

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
I can't recommend grout colors based on a pic on the web there's too much color variation. I'd pick grout that's closest to the darkest color in the tile
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

what can be done if some tiles have a little lippage once everything is gone?

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
I don't know what you mean
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

if some tiles are a little higher then at other and have a side higher

Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
There's nothing you can do once they are set. This is a workmanship defect by the tile setter. Also why butting tiles together can be problematic. The wider the grout line the more you can hide differences in tile height.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 months ago.
Do you have any more questions?