Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Garage door getting stuck while going down. It gets struck

Customer Question

Garage door getting stuck while going down. It gets struck right were the sensors are located. I checked both sensors they were aligned properly. There were no obstructions in path of the garage door sliding wheels. I also tried to close the door manually but it gets stuck at the same location.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Garage door getting stuck while going down. It gets struck right were the sensors are located. I checked both sensors they were aligned properly. There were no obstructions in path of the garage door and sliding wheels in their metal tracks. I even tried to close the door manually (by pulling the cord and powering off the motor) but it gets stuck at the same location.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. When a garage door gets stuck when manually cranked down, as well as when propelled down by the garage door opener, then the track on each side, or the parts of the door that fit into it, have a problem. Most likely you will need to call a garage door serviceman and have the tracks or the door edge parts repaired. But an examination for yourself, once you have gotten the door up a bit from that point again, might reveal something at that point (where the leading edge of the door stops, more or less, but in either or both of the two tracks at the place roughly corresponding to where the edge of the door stops.) (Warning: don't be optimistic about repairing it yourself. Garage doors can be quite dangerous, for parts are under considerable tension, and a part springing off if the door breaks, can go flying at high speeds and cause a considerable injury.)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have checked the door edges and the track at the point where the door jams, they are no obstruction everything looks good. One more thing, when door is closed by the opener it reverses when it comes the that point. Maybe the pulley cord is the problem. Can you advise how to check if the pulley is the problem.
Do you mean the part that the drive motor immediately propels, that then propels the door? That is unlikely. The fault is one that shows up at a certain point of descent. Usually this is from resistance, and causes the obstruction sensor in the drive motor to sense it and reverse away from the obstruction. A good door repairman will know what to do to cure it. (For surety, engage one that does not charge if the fault is not fixed!)I would have suggested to increase the Force setting on the opener a bit, but in this case the door stops when manually cranked down, at that same spot. Which means a major obstructor in the door track or the door itself (look for anything wedged into the door, for instance, also.)