canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

Would be awesome if you could! trying to figure out why

Customer Question

would be awesome if you could! trying to figure out why copper straps on copper pipes (only 8 yrs. old) have extremely corroded, while pipes have turned purple! wanna buy a property with these issues. i'm a cert. home inspector, and have never seen anything like this.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 12 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. The issue could be caused by water quality or by the flux used during installation. Soft water becomes acidic and will cause discoloration and deterioration. The flux that was used only 10 or 15 years ago was an acid based flux. Now it is water soluble. Often installers would just use a ton of the acid based flux when soldering instead of cleaning the copper with sandpaper first. If they used a ton of the acid based flux the acid cleaned the pipe while soldering. The excessive flux causes discoloration and deterioration with time as it is left on the surface of the piping. It would also eat away the copper coating on the straps.

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 10 months ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

I would hope that during our ongoing conversation that you have been provided the information needed to solve the issue you are having but I will not know that without a response from you. My goal is to get you the answers you seek but I have no way of knowing if you have gotten the information you are looking for without either a positive rating or request for more information from you.