Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

Overhead garage door will not close. Sensor lights on each

Customer Question

Overhead garage door will not close. Sensor lights on each side - one is red, one is green. No obstacles in the way. Button to close door does not light up (?).
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a vast array of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 38 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. So if I can ask you to take the time and answer, to the best of your knowledge. I am not there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. My goal today will be to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer to earn an excellent service rating from you.

If I may ask:

1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are 2 safety sensors on your door do they have an amber, or green light ONE RED ONE GREEN that is on steady? and not flickering?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights on the opener and how many times it blinks before pausing

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Don't know make or model. Not original owner. Don't even know code to open it.
Yes, one red blinking light, one steady green light.
No remote control.
Wall button, but I think it may have died because it is not lit up. And it doesn't make any noises.
Nothing is in the way of closure.
Anything else?
I lost my phone today, too, so can't text or talk. I think the dog ate it.
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

lol are you going to have to wait until your dog rings to know for sure ?

It looks like your sensors are out of line........you have to get them to see close to eye to eye for the door to operate properly..........when you get both lights with a steady green (or one might be a yellow light) then they are aligned........if you can't get them to go steady then you might have a faulty sensor and it would need to be replaced........the wall button might need to be replaced but there is a test we can do if you feel you want to try

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll go try the line up thing. I'll take wine...loosen them up a little. It's dark here - so I don't want the Boggey man coming in thru the garage. Course, if he can really boogey, I may let him in. I'll let you know how it goes trying to hook up those two pesky lights.
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

hahahaha ........good luck........and worse comes to worse I can tell you how to secure the garage door so no one can come in and steal you during the night

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The red one refuses ! to cooperate. I measured from floor up and from wall out. But the red one just said "NO". So, it must be something else. Yes, would love instructions on how to close the door. I realized I don't have any boogie music, so no need for a boogie man! Unless, of course, he knows how to fix the door! Bring it on!......
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

okay if the wall control is working .......but just without a light........... you can press and hold the button until it closes

if that doesn't work you there is a pull rope on your door to manually release it ....if it is open you have to guide it down some so it doesn't come slamming down.........then you might have a lock bar on your door use that to secure.............if not put a screwdriver in the slot of both of the rails (where the door wheels are) so that it can't be opened...........you might want to run a piece of tape on the screwdriver too to hold it in place

Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

with those sensors .......you can't really use a measurement.............you have to get them pointed together until both LED's are on steady...........it takes a certain touch............do you have what it takes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No luck so far..... pulled the string thing, it came out, of course. Door too heavy and too tall for me to get. I will try the sensors again..... I have a GREAT touch for dogs, children and flowers, that's about it. Thank you. I'll keep this info so I can work on it again.
Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

it could be a faulty sensor and might need to be replaced about 37.00 at the Home Depot

can you get on a ladder to pull the door down?............when we get the sensors working again it will have to be re connected............when you get a chance maybe you can upload some pictures of the manual disconnect and the unit so I can try and get a model if you need parts

Expert:  Eddie replied 8 months ago.

I have to go offline now...............................but will check back periodically .............write me when you can on how it is going