Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

How must we wait before having our new timber paling fence

Customer Question

How long must we wait before having our new timber paling fence painted and what paint do you recommend will give us the best result ..want to paint the very dark gray color..thanks
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

2 coats of Kilz brand water based primer tinted the color you want, then on coat of premium quality latex finish coat in flat or semi gloss with a 10+ year weather rating.

http://www.kilz.com/

We can go from here as needed, otherwise please rate my work. Its how I earn a living and will not affect your charges.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Phil - the first part of my question "how long must be wait before painting our new paling fence?? -
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Phil - the first part of my question "how long must we wait before painting our new paling fence - put in late February??
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

The wood should have been dried and cured before you used it (typically from a lumber yard)... if that was the case wait a month after the last rain when the weather is warm and sunny.

If you used green fresh cut lumber (that would be unusual) it should cure for 6 months and wait a month after the last rain. If you paint a bit sooner than that, and the surface is dry when you apply the primer, the paint will still last reasonably well.

Please do not forget to rate my work, its how I earn a living and does not increase your charges, we can go from there without any time limits as needed.

Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

http://www.paintpro.net/Articles/PP503/PP503_CoatingsFailure.cfm

If you want to entirely sure, use an electronic wood moisture content tester and paint the wood when it is 12% water by weight.