Jason, Electrician
Experience:  I do all of the remodeling projects on my own home. Experienced in all facets of Home Improvement.

I'm trying to make a pig tail generator, it has a 4 prong

Customer Question

I'm trying to make a pig tail for my generator, it has a 4 prong locking rv plug, to a 3 prong welder at 240v . they are marked as x,y,g.w, on the 4 prong and x,y,g on the 3 prong. how do you wire that? can you help?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.

Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

The two devices are very similar. The only difference is that the 3 prong device does not have a place to connect a neutral wire. This wire is typically white, which is why it is designated with the letter "w".

Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.

If you are plugging in a welder that has a 3 prong male end on the cord, you can use 3 conductor rubber cord, and just don't connect anything to the "w" terminal in the male device that plugs in to the generator.