Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft

We just had a bad storm last night and suddenly I am

Customer Question

Hi. We just had a bad storm last night and suddenly I am smelling a foul smell that is in my bedroom bath (the worst) and also in my bedroom. It SEEMS to be coming in part from a fan I have in the bathroom but I don't know how the smell could go into my bedroom as I keep that door closes. This is on the 2nd floor by the way and it almost smells like sewage or rotten eggs. The small is not in the basement or on the 1st floor or in any of the other rooms that I can smell.
Any ideas? I have no clue.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
PS, I have turned off the heat for a few hours and opened and closed the windows after a while to see if I could locate the smell - Really is worse right under the fan in the bathroom - which has not been running by the way
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also, heat has been off for hours now, so the fans not running at all and the smell is getting worse again so I know it's not that - I closed the heat vents too when I turned off the heat to make sure the smell wasn't coming from there..
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

Hi ............what it sounds like is that you have sewer gas escaping in some kind of a breech in the sink or tub or most likely a vent can do an easy test on the P-traps on the sink and tub by pouring a quart of water in both ..........that will be enough water to make a seal from the gases should go away in a short time if it doesn't will be coming from another source.......a toilet seal ........or the vent stack that runs up the house and through the roof.........if you have access to this (an attic) you might want to take a look and see if the pipe is cracked or if you can detect the smell is more dominant there or backing through your exhaust probably will need a professional to resolve this problem ..........I hope you can find it .........good luck

Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

don't spend a lot of time in the attic looking for a crack the escaping gas can be hazardous especially in a closed area.................perhaps with the heavy storm the stack pipe got clogged with leaves?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What type of professional do I call to check the vent stack? A roofer even though it is going through the house? I really don't know.
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

a plumber ............he might even be able to detect a crack by using smoke ............or with a hose pouring water down the stack

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi. If it's the sink or tub should I also try (after water).....some type of bleach and water combo on the drains. OR viniger and baking soda?
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

to tell you the truth from what you were trying to relate about the strong odor coming from the fan I am leaning toward this vent pipe............and what I would do is get a piece of cardboard and tape it to the vent opening for now......see if that will slow it down too...........the quart of water was only a test and not a cure

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, I'll try that for now. Thanks
Expert:  Eddie replied 7 months ago.

you're welcome............please keep me informed