Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

I have a room opening where I need to put a set of barn

Customer Question

I have a room opening where I need to put a set of barn doors. The opening needs barn doors that should be 40 inch wide.

Unfortunately, the 40 inch slabs don't come in 6 panels. I will have to use 40 inch plan slab. Do you have any recommendation to either elegantly reduce the width of the opening or width of the 36 inch 6 panel doors.

I don't want to reframe the opening if I don't have to.

Please provide photos to demonstrate your suggestions.

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

How about reducing the width of the opening (4" on either side) then us a wider casing to trim it out? You could also have 40" wide doors fabricated at a custom mill work shop.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

What do you mean by "wider casing to trim it out"?

What is a good price to pay for a 40 inch 6-panel hollow core door?

Can you give me contact information on some mills anywhere in the US to get some ideas?

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Door openings are typically cased (picture framed). So you use a 1 x 6 (or trim of that width ~5") to trim out (frame around) the opening. It's not clear to me if these doors are actually on a barn or you're just going for that effect. I'm assuming these are interior doors since you mention hollow core doors. The only hollow core 6 panel doors are Masonite (molded) doors. There are no wood hollow core paneled doors. If you're looking for a hollow core door then a mill work shop door is going to be a lot more money than you want to spend.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

These are internal doors.

How much should I plan to pay for custom-made solid 6-panel 40 inch doors?

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Depends on where you live. I have a mill work shop near me that would make them for about $500-$600 each (slab only). There's no way for me to know what the cost might be in your area. If you're in a rural area a small shop might do it for less. A large shop in a major metro area would likely cost a couple hundred more. You could also try a lumber yard but they'll just go to a custom shop then mark up the cost to you. Your best bet is to check around for a local shop and deal direct.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

How to locate a custom shop in my area? I am in Tulsa, OK area.

Expert:  Rick replied 7 months ago.

Here's a few. SOme Lumber yards have their own millwork division

Mill Creek Lumber & Supply Co

(###) ###-####/p>

Wood Systems, inc

(###) ###-####/p>

Mid-Continent Millworks

(###) ###-####/p>