Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

I have mold on my apartment walls and some window frames.

Customer Question

I have mold on my apartment walls and some window frames. What should i do?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Hello, the short answer is wipe the mold off with rubbing alcohol, then sand the surface down through any deeper mold, then apply several coats of KILZS brand primer in either oil base or water base depending on what sort of paint is already in place... sand and recoat with KILZS until you get the smooth finish you want, then repaint the affected surfaces.

You can have the KILZS tinted to match the color of paint you will be using for the final coat.

http://www.kilz.com/

Click that blue link, most paint stores and big box paint departments carry it.

If you choose to rate that answer positively, I will be able to keep the question open to you without a time limit for any follow up or additional advice you need. Rating is how I earn a living and does not affect your charges.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What this kilz is for?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do i know if this mold is not attached to the walls? I mean, inside of the walls
Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

Hello again, Kilz is special paint that kills mold and fungus.

Click on this blue link

http://www.kilz.com/

Click that blue link, most paint stores and big box paint departments carry it. The link tells you all about what Kilz is and why to use it.

If the mold is inside the walls of the building, the wall has to be removed and rebuilt. If the mold is just on the surface, then you can use the cleaning method I described, and the Kilz primer.... Kilz sticks to the wall better than regular paint.

If you can attach a few photo's of the mold I can be more specific... use the paper clip icon at the right end of the tool bar for that.

We can go from there.

Expert:  Phil replied 8 months ago.

click on that blue link to see the Kilz web site with all of the data about Kilz.