Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have a few questions regarding my 5000sqft warehouse. 1

Customer Question

I have a few questions regarding my 5000sqft warehouse.
1 What is the best way to get fresh air into the warehouse?
2 What type of industrial air fresheners are available?
3 What other things would you recommend I do in the warehouse for my employess to be in a productive environment?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Hello, if you can tell me what is being manufactured or handled in the warehouse, and a bit about its construction, and how well insulated it is, ceiling height, and local climate (nearest city) that will help me assess the situation and provide the most appropriate advice.

Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

If toxic chemicals are involved for instance you will need a lot of outside air, and if you are in a cold climate you will need a gas or oil fired pre heater in the fresh air duct.

If you are in a dusty area or near a freeway, and assembling electronics parts as example or anything that needs to be kept clean, you will need one degree or the other of air filtration...

Let me know about all that, we can go from there.

Complete design services are also available if you need them

http://screencast.com/t/7bOWKnJBm

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The warehouse is a distribution center for electronic gear and is located in NJ. No toxic chemicals, ceiling height is about 10 feet, no dust and insulated well.

Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Thanks,

If 90F inside temperatures on occasion in the summer is not a problem then all you need is space heating in the winter, and a vent fan box rated at 500 cfm with a 2" thick pleated filter on it and a short duct to the vicinity of the back side of your space heater if it is already in place.

Tell me if you want to keep the space in the 72 to 75F range in the summer, and if there is existing air conditioning or not...and if this is a one story building or if you are on the bottom floor of a taller building,

Some photo's would help.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have an HVAC system my questions are for cycling fresh air into the building, types of industrial air fresheners

Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Hello again, there are no 'industrial air fresheners' using those terms on the market. There is simple fresh air intake which should be built into your existing air conditioning system.

And then there are various 'ozonation' and 'ionization' systems that remove odors by infusing the air with legal amounts of ozone. 1 to 5% of people are allegric to ozone... ozone produces a air similar to what you smell in a forest after a rain storm (and by the same means) the ozone and surplus oxygen destroys the odor causing molecules.

Less expensive is an 'ionization grid' generally seen in clean rooms to cause particles, including many but not all odorous particles to stick to the walls and floor and not on the electronics being manufactured.

I would try an ozonator first and see how it goes.

Beyond that there are electronic air filters, that you can also fit activated carbon filters into, those do a good job but are expensive.

Here are some relevant links:

http://www.ozonesolutions.com/products/Commercial-Ozone-Generators

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/en/products/air-cleaners

That type of electronic air cleaner is non ozone producing and can be fit into the return air ducts of existing air conditioning systems.

The also make free standing types that can be mounted on the wall or hung from the ceiling, about the size of a small refrigerator... cost $4,000 or so, depending.

Look all that over, let me know what you think.

Note: please pardon my initial questioning but it is necessary to determine what is on site, and what the actual needs are, I am a working mechanical engineer, and one of my primary specialties is air quality... I can continue working with you without any time limits if you wish, or you can ask me to opt out and one of our HVAC techs will pick up your question, again I apologize.

Expert:  Phil replied 10 months ago.

Hello again, be sure to see my reply above.

If you are looking for something to handle odors in the rest rooms of a commercial building and not the entire 5000 sq ft.

Look these over, let me know what you think

https://www.grainger.com/category/air-freshener-dispensers/odor-control/cleaning/ecatalog/N-ovw

we can go from there if you wish.