SlTl
SlTl, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Contractor and Kitchen and Bath Designer
68915091

I got stains on the my corian bathroom countertop, perhaps

Customer Question

I got stains on the my corian bathroom countertop, perhaps from some cosmetical product. One is in the shape of a ring (from a bottle probably) the others are spots, like splashes. tried all sorts to remove them, they seem to be soaked in. Any ideas?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Martin replied 9 months ago.

Hi. Here is what the manufactuer recommand for cleaning:

http://www.dupont.com/content/dam/dupont/tools-tactics/bi/surfaces-technical-library/documents/north-america/BI-NA-Caring-for-DuPont-Corian-literature.pdf

Try that first, then you could then you can try something else. I often noticed that the same material that stainned can be a good cleaner as it have the right solvent to dissolve the stain. A cosmetical product can have oil, so vinegar may be a good cleaner or it can have very tiny pigment that diluted peroxyde and UV light can neutralize (that can change colors, so it better only be done of very white and clear surface).

Looking at chemical resistance:

http://www.dupont.ca/content/dam/dupont/tools-tactics/bi/surfaces-technical-library/documents/north-america/K-27406_DuPont_Corian_Chemical_Resistance_Tech_Bulletin_NA.pdf

It look like acetone (nail polish remover) could be a good cleaning agent to try also.

Expert:  SlTl replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have some suggestions for you.

It is important to NOT use Nail polish remover. Recommended cleaning for any Corian countertop is soap and water. If the finish on your countertop is a Matte finish, then occasionally you can use an abrasive cleaner like Ajax or Comet along with a Scrotch Brite pad and scrub in circular motions.

If a stain still does not come out, you need to call the company who you purchased it from and they will come out to your house and buff it out. That is the beauty of Corion is that it is a solid surface and the same color runs all the way through, which means you can buff anything out without a noticeable difference. You can even get cracks repaired without being able to see the repair once they are finished.

If you did not purchase the countertop and the previous owners didn't leave you with their product warranty or the name of the company it was purchased from, then you'll need to call any countertop company that sells solid surface and they can make the repairs or buff out stains for you. You will have to pay them to come out to do it though. (Many companies produce solid surface products, however the brand name Corian is not as widely available as it used to be).

A few more tips:

Normal cleaning only requires a damp cloth and a
mild cleanser. If you've chosen a matte finish, you can use an abrasive cleaner like Ajax or Comet. If you do use an abrasive cleaner, we recommend periodically cleaning the entire surface in a circular motion to maintain uniformity. Avoid using strong acidic cleansers (like those designed for drains, toilets or ovens). Some of them can cause whitening, which can be difficult to remove.

A few common sense precautions include not placing pans directly from the burner or oven on your countertops. Although LG HI-MACS can withstand temperatures of up to 225 degrees, prolonged or extreme heat can cause yellowing.

Troublesome spills and stains, like food dye, tea and fruit drinks can be removed with full strength bleach followed by a general cleaner flushed with water. Be sure and not let the bleach remain on the surface for more than five minutes. If a lit cigarette should come in contact with your countertop, a nicotine stain or a scorch mark can occur. Simply use an abrasive cleaner or buff in a circular motion with a Scotch-Brite® pad to remove.

I hope this helps.