NCCPrime
NCCPrime,
Experience:  President at NCC Prime Construction Inc.
89387220

I bought a shed (12x20) and the builder (who has been in

Customer Question

I bought a shed (12x20) and the builder (who has been in business 20 years) did not put an underlayment under the shingles. Now, after 7 years, it has started leaking. I know that shingles are usually expected to last around 20 years. I have brought this up to the NC Justice Dept but they kicked it back to me with Wammock's letter stating he only guaranteed the workmanship for one year. Does the roof on this shed have to meet less standards that put out by the International Building Code? Do I have any recourse?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  NCCPrime replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to the service. I be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a moment

Expert:  NCCPrime replied 9 months ago.

Dear customer, not installing underpayment under the roof shingles is unacceptable regardless this is a shed or a house. The result at the end would be the same which would lead to roof leaks. If a contractor guarantees the work for one year does not mean the work is not supposed to meet building codes. International building code has nothing to do with your state code. Here is what you need to do. Call your towns building department and ask whether a shed's roof does not require underpayment. If the answer is no it doesn't then it is nothing you can do other than contacting the builder and trying to make him take the responsibility. For example, as contractor myself if I was in a solar position I would rather make the necessary repair and take the cost (which in your case it will not be very high rather than having an unhappy customer. Saving a little money could cost you loosing a few more customers from referrals. But this is how I operate and not all professionals operate the same way. Now, if the building department tells you that the code requires underpayment even in shed's roof then you could ask them to provide you with the code requirement in writing (in most towns building code can be found in their website) and visit the department of consumer a fairs and show them in writing what the code specifies. If you have further questions please do not hesitate to contact me. Also, if you are satisfied with my answer I would apreciate your feedback by accepting my answer and rating my service. Best of luck!!!

Expert:  NCCPrime replied 9 months ago.

I apologize for a couple words I misspelled such as solar which I meant to write similar and a fairs which I meant to write affairs :)

Expert:  NCCPrime replied 9 months ago.

Hello and checking in to see if you have tried what I suggested. Please let me know if it is anything else I can assist you with. Thanks