Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

The back room of our house was added on prior to our

Customer Question

The back room of our house was added on prior to our purchasing it. After the last 15 years ,the door is starting to fall apart and needs replaced. When the room was built by sub-par contractors, I believe they didn't put enough footing under it and the room is flexing from summer to winter... enough so that I've had to adjust the latch many times . sometimes twice a year. I am worried that a new steel door with a wood frame will do the same thing. Would a steel framed door keep that from happening or am I just screwed ?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

Hi............... This is an exterior door?............... is what you are saying that the door is sagging and you have to move the latch up and down or from the heat expansion and the cold you can't shut the door and you have to move the latch in and out ?.................it always is much better if you used what they call a pre-hung door......it is put together with the exact margins and remains square when installed to the rough opening............every door sags through the years but people don't know that it can be adjusted if the conditions are right.............it would certainly help immensely if you can upload some pictures I would get a much better idea how to help you more

Thank you

eddie