Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

I have an Airco sliding compound mitre saw. Model APT 640.

Customer Question

JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Sorry, I pulled the trigger and the switch started to smoke, so I unplugged the power. How do I get a new switch. I live in the U.S.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Contractor should know?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Contractor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 9 months ago.

With saws of this type the first step is to remove the switch.

The problem is often a broken or loose wire. Other problems are loose or broken parts inside the switch.

Once you have the switch apart if you are unable to fix it take it to an electrical tool repair shop. Many shops have generic switches that may be a match. Some may actually have a technician that is able to fix your switch.

Expert:  Machinc replied 9 months ago.

You may be able to Identify a generic replacement by checking parts on line for other brands and comparing their picture to your switch. The electrical properties are easily matched so the mechanical operation and fit are going to

be the object of your search