canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Handyman
Experience:  i have extensive experience in the home improvement industry. my current job is at lowes home improvement.
64367226

Lever door handle It is loose and the detent is not

Customer Question

Lever door handle It is loose and the detent is not releasing the door handle to access the screws
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The lever door handle is loose. I have tried pushing in the circle slot to release to door handle to access the screws and it appears the detent is busted or not working.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Home Improvement Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Do you know the model of the door and handle? Likely you will have to remove the handle by the set screw at the base then turn the post enough to get it to unlatch. The cause of the issue is very likely the screws in the strike plate are loose and need to be tightened once the door has been opened. If turning the post is not enough to unlatch it then pulling the apparatus with a screwdriver before turning the post will do the trick.