Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

The home is in Tacoma WA. Plans were submitted and approved

Customer Question

The home is in Tacoma WA. Plans were submitted and approved for a major remodel. I remember the planner telling me about 5/8" and 1/2" drywall. I am now at the drywall stage and can't remember what he said. When do I need 5/8" drywall?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

for one 5/8 is much more rigid, and a better fire rating ........... and maybe you were going with plaster veneer walls

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

was it because of custom doors?

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

sound proofing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My understanding in perusing IBC, Tacoma Building Codes and multiple web searches is that 5/8 is required on exterior walls and other interior walls under certain conditions. What are those conditions?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I know it has something to do with fire rating.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

it must be the fire rating ..............I'm 3000 miles away so codes are a bit different

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

do you remember him saying use on ceilings ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
According to IBC the only requirement for ceilings to use 5/8" is 24" oc spacing.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

because it is much more rigid like I stated........but I thought for fire rating if it was a two story and not being able to burn through to the roof so fast ..........I only use 5/8 drywall for my house ...............a much nicer job for taping too

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

use as many 10 foot boards as you can too ..............less butt seams

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you know when 5/8 fire rated sheet rock is required? The home is 1.5 stories, the floors, ceilings and walls(interior and exterior ) are 1" tongue and groove.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, the garage is detached and more than 5' from the house.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

I could speculate but you would be much better finding out the specific codes for your town.........you would have to pay for the building code book........... but you would be much better off contacting a local contractor for a free estimate and he will tell you right off