NCCPrime
NCCPrime,
Experience:  President at NCC Prime Construction Inc.
89387220

I'm trying to build a 8' x 10' patio in the back yard. I

Customer Question

I'm trying to build a 8' x 10' patio in the back yard. I live in Houston TX. I have the patio formed and taped down the dirt filled it with crushed granite but my dog started digging in it. so now I plan on putting slate tiles down but not sure the best way to do it?
What is the minimum depth of cement I can use to mortar over for slate tiles?
Is there something that can be put over the crushed granite to harden it up for tiles?
this is becoming tedious. Please advise
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  NCCPrime replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to the service. This is how you can install your patio: use 2" x 4" s to create the frame of the patio. Since you already have the crushed granite, even though I never used it as a base I think it should still be okay to use it. Compact the crushed granite. Try to keep your base to 2". Now, pour the concrete to the top of your forms. Your concrete slab doesn't have to be looking perfect since your slate tiles will be install on top of it. You can use either a floating tool or 2"x 4"s to smooth out the concrete. Leave the concrete to harden out overnight. Next day make sure your concrete is hard enough and using a hummer take out the forms. Make sure to decide on the pattern before you start. You will need a wet saw to make all the cuts. When you ready you can use either mortar or thin set to install your tiles. Please let me know if you have any questions. Also, if I would apreciate your feedback by clicking accept and rating my amswer. Good luck!!

Expert:  NCCPrime replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, how are you? I am following up to see how everything is and if it is anything else I can assist you with