Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have natural gas on a private well with all natural gas

Customer Question

I have natural gas on a private well with all natural gas appliances (stove, oven, furnace, water heater. I was running the furnace about a week ago and all of a sudden it started smelling like lighter fluid, I turned it off and ran the oven for a couple of days. The smell dissipated a bit but started smelling like dirt, mud, musty smell. The SAME smell that my crawl space smells like. The scent is burning my eyes and upsetting my stomach. I also smell a hint of it when i run the other gas appliances. Carbon monoxide detector is not going off. Noone can seem to smell this but me so it is hard for anyone to help me figure out what it is, I have had no chemicals around. I fear that this may be harming me.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Based on your description alone there's nothing that I can diagnose from here. For your own peace of mind I'd suggest you contact an indoor air quality testing company. They are best equipped to detect noxious indoor air pollutants.