Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I just bought my first townhouse this year and have what

Customer Question

I just bought my first townhouse this year and have what appears to be a Wayne Dalton garage door with opener. The power went out and I pulled the release to put it in manual mode, but now I can't seem to get it to re-engage onto the automatic opener. The only Wayne Dalton guide I found online says it should reconnect automatically, but it didn't. Other general online guides say to pull the release toward the door, and that doesn't seem to be working either. Please help.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  john replied 10 months ago.

try having the opener in the open position and manually lifting the door up they should connect ant lock if not manually pull the release a few times maybe its stuck..try that and let me know

Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

have the door in the closed position then yes pull the rope toward the door and then lift the door up and it will click in

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry, but this answer did not help. I had already tried following these same instructions I found online, as stated in my question.
I didn't state that I had tried to manually lift the door while pulling the release forward to see if it clicked in place, but yes, I did try sliding the door while pulling the release forward and backward in both open and closed positions.
If I'm being honest, I think it's a bit unfair that I should have been charged $16 for this advice.
Thanks anyway, though.
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

its okay I am still here to explore other avenues with you ..............it could quite possibly be that something has broken off and not making it connect again as to where you need a part ..........if there is any way you can find a model number on the opener under a lens cover or a riveted tag it would greatly help our plight toward fixing this for you ...........also being the door is in manual does it have a lock on it?...............if not you can secure it by putting a piece of wood between the rail by a roller and maybe tape it so no one can enter

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you but I asked a neighbour to come over and look at it. It apparently needed brute force and muscles to force it onto the track. It's now operating as it should. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

good I am glad you are up and running

eddie