Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

My garage door will not open. On the LiftMaster opener

Customer Question

My garage door will not open. On the LiftMaster opener display reads as follows:
Excessive closing
Force detected
Error Code 41
See user manual
I don't have a manual. When I press the button to lift the door, it tries to open, maybe lift 1/2" then stops. It is leaving a small gap at the top.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a vast array of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 38 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. So if I can ask you to take the time and answer, to the best of your knowledge. I am not on there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. My goal today will be to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer to earn an excellent service rating from you.

If I may ask:

1-) The make LIFTMASTER and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it NO?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) there are safety sensors on your door do they have either an amber, yellow or green light that is on right now?

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights that you now notice

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

We can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

If by some reason a resolution to the problem just isn't possible, I will do my best to supply you with any remaining options, from what other resources I can find.

Please, since we take pride in our good reputations, and you might feel the need to choose a bad service rating, I ask that you stop and consider replying back to me with any of your concerns.

And thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JustAnswerAsk a question
Remember to rate your expert here after you get an answer and finish talking.
Eddie Online now
Keep Home Improvement Experts on call - FREE! See how
My garage door will not open. On the...
My garage door will not open. On the LiftMaster opener display reads as follows:Excessive closing
Force detected
Error Code 41
See user manualI don't have a manual. When I press the button to lift the door, it tries to open, maybe lift 1/2" then stops. It is leaving a small gap at ... view full
30 January 2016 05:50Eddie Eddie
Home Improvement Expert
Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a vast array of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 38 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. So if I can ask you to take the time and answer, to the best of your knowledge. I am not on there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. My goal today will be to provide you with a satisfactory and a reasonable answer to earn an excellent service rating from you.If I may ask:1-) The make LIFTMASTER and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it NO?
The model number is ***** and yes I found the manual.2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner
The garage door is over 20 years old. The lift master garage door opener was purchased July 20153-) there are safety sensors on your door do they have either an amber, yellow or green light that is on right now? The sensor on the right has a green light and the sensor on the left has an ***** *****ght4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes.
Yes I have a wall control and 2 remotes.5-) any flashing lights that you now notice
No6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

okay Deanna we have to adjust the limits .......you okay to try this ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just noticed that the spring on the left side has broken, therefore I will schedule a repair service. I apologize for not noticing it before. I was so focused on the display error code. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

oh no problem ............good luck to you D