Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

I want to remove the bark from a 6 foot ckory branch. I have

Customer Question

I want to remove the bark from a 6 foot hickory branch. I have heard that there are many ways in which to do this...one being using a particular type of knife but this is only about 3-4 inches in diameter and I'm not certain what type of knife to purchase...the other is that one can place the total branch in a shower and steam it and then peel the bark off. however, does the branch need to dry out for a period of time after cutting for this? Could you Help, please? thank you
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: such as
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Home Improvement Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

Hi. Ideally, removing it when the wood is still green get the best softer feeling. For that you need to peel the bark and you use a knife just to start the peeling section. I am not aware of a special knife for this. For big trunk i use what is called a "spud" but i found that a spoon can work well for small trees/limb. If you don't care about the sily smooth natural surface under the bark and you can go with sanding it to similar texture, you could use a spokeshave.

Steam will damage the wood, so if you use it, you will need a very hot steam for very short time and then you should be able to peel them like tomatoes.