Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

I want to remove the bark from a 6 foot ckory branch. I have

Customer Question

I want to remove the bark from a 6 foot hickory branch. I have heard that there are many ways in which to do this...one being using a particular type of knife but this is only about 3-4 inches in diameter and I'm not certain what type of knife to purchase...the other is that one can place the total branch in a shower and steam it and then peel the bark off. however, does the branch need to dry out for a period of time after cutting for this? Could you Help, please? thank you
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: such as
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Home Improvement Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Ideally, removing it when the wood is still green get the best softer feeling. For that you need to peel the bark and you use a knife just to start the peeling section. I am not aware of a special knife for this. For big trunk i use what is called a "spud" but i found that a spoon can work well for small trees/limb. If you don't care about the sily smooth natural surface under the bark and you can go with sanding it to similar texture, you could use a spokeshave.

Steam will damage the wood, so if you use it, you will need a very hot steam for very short time and then you should be able to peel them like tomatoes.