Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have a model PD612EV door opener. The trolley will travel

Customer Question

I have a model PD612EV door opener. The trolley will travel 2 to 3 feet and stop. Some times reversing. The manual said by holding the button down would bypass the safety sensors. I have tried this with the door hooked and unhooked with not difference. I have put safety eyes about 2 inches apart and I have tried to adjust travel with no help. HELP PLEASE! Of course, the warranty on the door just expired less then one month ago,(1/2/2014) no surprise.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a vast array of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 38 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. So if I can ask you to take the time and answer, to the best of your knowledge. I am not on there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. If I may ask:

1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?........ CHAMBERLAIN PD612EV

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner....... 1 YEAR

3-) there are safety sensors on your door do they have either an amber, yellow or green light that is on right now?.......... YES

4-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

5-) any flashing lights that you now notice............. 4 TIMES AND 1

6-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

7-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

we can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

Thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

additionally..........when you say no difference......does that mean you can't open or shut the door manually either?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
1. chamberlain DP612EV
2. I am the original owner and it is 2 years old
3. green and amber 4. 1 wall and 2 remotes
5. 4 amber on up arrow and 1 amber on down arrow
6. no
7. yes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Additionally...
if the door is unhooked I can move it manually easily
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

okay what I would like you to try first is to close the door fully and then go to each roller wheel and with your fingers move each one horizontally ...........they all should have at least a 1/4 inch of play in the rail

thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They all have play in them
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

okay next step is to reprogram the travel...................do you have a manual?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a manual and I have already reprogramed the travel. I can not get it to go down but I can get it to go up, so once I try to get it to down it won't go up again.
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

sorry I lost connection .............back to your issue..............we went through the steps that should have resolved the problem.....you said the safety sensors were okay but there is a possibility that one might be faulty...........and adjusting the travel limits should have got us up and running again as long as you checked the rails for anything binding the door even slightly ...........so this too can be an electronic problem with the logic or control board..........you may have gotten power outages that you weren't aware of and then a surge that could have damaged these parts if you don't have a surge protector on the opener...........I really wish I could have repaired this for you but there maybe that hidden problem

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

we can do test on those sensors to be sure by bypassing them........it means cutting both away from where they are and running a test by the opener.......if you are able and want to try this let me know.......... I have to go offline now but just leave me your response

thanks

eddie