Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

I live in a typical split entry house. We added 2 rooms over

Customer Question

I live in a typical split entry house. We added 2 rooms over the garage. Now the house looks long and what little curb appeal it had is lost. I am struggling to change landscape to bring some curb appeal to the house. I have looked at several magazines books, but no designer wants to work with split entries. Is this a lost cause, or is there something you ca do to help. I was hoping to plant a tree to hide the length of the house, but not able to see how and where to do it. Please help.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Where do you live? I need pics of the house from a distance please show any walks or other hard scape features. You can post pics here by clicking on ADD FILES next to the SEND button.

Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

Like rick mentioned, knowing the area where you live would be helpful to know what plant/tree could help the best. As you mention it is over the garage, it mean that area can't be planted with a tree, so perhaps a climbing plant or a vine on that facade area would work. it would act as a demarcation and make the house look less like a long oil tanker if you used the same color/material as the original house part.

You could also plant a tree on the other side of the house. A conifer or two like a spruce is usually is a good candidate for that.

You can also play on colors if you can change that easilly (not advised for brick as it then become lot of maintenance) by making the addition lighter than the original house.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your quick response. I will send you some pictures soon. Not sure if I have any pictures of my house from the front.
Expert:  Martin replied 10 months ago.

Take all the time you need.