Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Patio poured wrong. Have new home construction underway.

Customer Question

patio poured wrong.
Have new home construction underway. Patio is 8' x 24'. Patio and foundation are poured together since patio will have posts to support roof. All concrete including patio has post tension cables running thru it. Patio is suppose to drop 1.5". When poured, the drop occurred 13" off meaning patio has ledge 13"x3"x24'. Builder knew this before framing. I asked them to move the wall after it was already framed. They went and chipped ledge away. In process exposed 1 tension cable for 10". They want to cap whole patio now with 2" or more of concrete. So now my worries-
Patio drop was supposed to be 1.5" not 3. (Concrete is not as thick as it should be)
Post tension cable exposed
Putting concrete cap on will not last nearly as long as properly poured foundation
Cap may make level of patio within inch or less or structure floor (water penetration more likely)
Are these all valid concerns? Is this a big screwup by builder? Is it reasonable to ask for special warranty covering my worries?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Where do you live?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Frisco,Texas. Near dallas
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

Ok, then snow loads on the patio roof are not an issue. While what you describe didn't go right the first time, the proposed fix should be an acceptable solution but I'd ask for a minimum 3" pour on top since it sounds like the original pour was not as thick as it should have been.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Concrete on concrete seems to have a reputation for not lasting. Do you see a cap lasting 10 years if done by average contractor? If patio was suppose to have 1.5" drop but say cap reduces to half inch, more likely for water penetration?
Expert:  Rick replied 10 months ago.

If the pour is at least 3" it's virtually the same as an independent pour. I'd want them to use re-wire in the pour or at least polypro fibers in the mix (polypropylene fibers that inhibit cracking). A 1" drop over 8' is ok ut there's no reason they can't maintain more pitch. Water penetration is not an issue unless the slab cracks