AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

I took down a ceiling fan and am about to attach a

Customer Question

I took down a ceiling fan and am about to attach a chandelier. Just noticed in the ceiling it looks like there are for wires coming from two spots. Looks like one from each are twisted together to make 2 total. Looks like each has 1 black and 1 white together. Does this make sense?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

Yes it does ......one is the feed and one is your switch..............you should make sure your chandelier is not heavier than the ceiling fan ..............sometimes they could be or maybe you braced that previously .........if you want to upload a picture of the wiring box I can make sure for you that the connections are correct

thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then I just take the two wire from the ceiling and connect them with the two from the chandelier
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

you have to find out which is the hot and which wire belongs to the switch............you'll need a tester ...........if you didnt upset the wires from the fan I could probably tell you if you can upload that picture............is the ceiling supported then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan only had one side connected. The other from the ceiling was just tucked in the box
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

It appears the expert has left conversation, and I wanted to check if you are still in need of assistance.

If so, let me know. First, remove the cover on the switch that controls the light and see that there is one black and one white wire on the switch.

Also, the total at the ceiling from the house wires, is 2 white and 2 black, one each from 2 cables, is that correct?

Let me know and we can continue and get it squared away.

Thanks