Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
329447

Container of oil based stain was spilled into the washing

Customer Question

Container of oil based wood stain was spilled into the washing tub. How do I clean the machine? This happened almost 24 hours ago. Two Hot loads were done with bleach and soap. Currently I am doing a load of Dawn, a little baking soda, and oxyclean. Is there a fix or do I need a new machine?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Steve G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Rather than try and 'wash it out' by running the machine, I would try and remove as much of it as you can manually. Surprisingly, you will find that olive oil removes oil based stains. I would remove as much of it as you can and then let the rest of the stain dry out. Once it has dried out, it will not transfer to your laundry and will just slowly get washed away.

Try the oilve oil and let me know how that works for you. You could also use some Goof Off or Goo Be Gone which you can find at Home Depot.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Steve