Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

How do I find the building codes fences

Customer Question

How do I find the building codes for wood fences
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 10 months ago.

There are no National Codes as such for fences,

Fences are regulated by city and county ordinances and the Restricitions of the neighborhood ( homeowners association),

If you live in a" gated community" one with a homeowners association you present your proposal to them first. The same if you live in a historic district .

If you live in the city limits contact the city building inspections /zoning commission. The same county offices if outside the city limits .

Expert:  Machinc replied 10 months ago.

If you live in any kind of neighborhood where there is no homeowners

You are still bound to follow any restrictions you agreed to when you bought your lot or home. These would be with your sales contract but not necessarily with your loan agreement . I

If you are not able to find your papers the restrictions are usually recorded at the court house.

It is best to check all of these before you proceed,

Expert:  Machinc replied 10 months ago.

Most ordinances pertain to height and placement in relation to your house rather than materials.

Privacy fences in front of houses are not usually allowed, Corner lots also require special consideration before placing fences.

Some allow short picket type fences out front but check before you build because many don't,

Letting your neighbors know what you have in mind can head off future problems or complaints, even lawsuits.

Expert:  Machinc replied 10 months ago.

Even if there are no restrictions a neighbor can take you to court if they don't like your fence so good communication with your neighbors

Is important,.

All of the offices I mentioned can help you with the style and method of construction for wood fences in your community:.