Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

My garage door has been opening without our requesting it.

Customer Question

Customer: My garage door has been opening without our requesting it. It doesn't close, so I think it isn't a neighbor. What could it be? I am also trying to reprogram the code
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It's a Craftsman 139.53515SR. This has happened 3 times in the last two days. The door opens by itself but does not come down without us issuing a caommand. So I don't think its a neighbor, but we have a disgrunteled past tenant who we suspect is driving by and opening our door
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Home Improvement Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have the manual for the Craftsman 139.53515SR garage door opener that matches the model no. on the unit. The programming instructions are not clear.
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

Hi would this past tenant have a remote controller? or did he have access to one when he was residing there?.................cause if that is the case it might be a bit of a problem.......do you know if on the inside of your remote you have what are called dip switches ?.......I will check on my end how we can secure the controls if possible

thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't really believe that is what is causing the door to come up, but there is something that is signalling it. It is a 1990 model so there could be many devices that access its code.So the question I have is to reprogramming the code. The yellow smart swith on the garage door operator is supposed to reset the codes, but when I hold it down for one minute, the remote still works.I need help with resetting the code with this unit.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have held the yellow smart button down for over a minute but this doesn't appear to reset the code as the remote still works. DO I possibly have a bad logic board?
Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

with these things it always could be one of a dozen so maybe a couple things I can suggest if you hadn't tried them

maybe unplug the opener motor...remove the batteries from remotes for a good minute ......put the batteries back and plug back the opener........hold the remotes within a foot of the opener when you hold the learn button down........when the indicator light goes out it should have cleared it ........if not yes we have a bad logic board which would be more costly to replace and you could put that toward a new opener in which todays models have a much better diagnostics and quieter and user friendly.........I'm sorry if that isn't what you want to hear but to be honest it is more prudent and cost effective........I don't know how handy you are but all the parts are in place just about and it's almost a do-it-yourselfer where you can save a little money...........please let me know what you decide .........because if I can find any other tricks somehow I will ........and I will stay thinking on it in the meantime

eddie

Expert:  Eddie replied 10 months ago.

maybe some electrical interference in your neighborhood?.............have you noticed any trucks in the area? .............telephone..........cable TV?