Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I have a liftmaster formula 1 garage door opener. It won't

Customer Question

Customer: I have a liftmaster formula 1 garage door opener. It won't close, either from the remote, the keypad on the doorside or from the button inside the garage. If I block the sensors it flashes as it should when something is blocking. If I don't nothing happens.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My wife opened it this morning to get something out of the garage. 10 minutes later she pressed the button to close it and nothing happened. Aside from that it has worked perfectly from when we bought the house it six years ago. It came with the house.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Home Improvement Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Michael. I can help you with your question if you still need assistance.

Make sure there is nothing causing unusual force on the travel of the door. For example, if the tension of the door has changed, the door opener will only exert so much force on the door before stopping - so if it has increased, it may be beyond the threshold of what the door is set for. This is a setting that is separate from the obstruction setting and deals with the force required to open and close.

You should be able to tell if this is the case, but giving it a little manual assist to see if that makes a difference. If not, then it might be that the travel limits have somehow failed to stay in place - the limits tell the system how far up and down the door should go. If it seems to stop abruptly at a specific point each time, this may be the issue.