Susan Latta
Susan Latta, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed Contractor and Certified Kitchen and Bath Designer
68915091

Our home has 2 1/4 wide hardwood flooring, except in the

Customer Question

Our home has 2 1/4 wide hardwood flooring , except for carpeting in the living room. I'd like to replace the carpet with variable widths of hardwood. Or should I stick with 2 1/4?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  John Contractor replied 1 year ago.

-

Hello there --

-

In my experience when variable widths of hardwood are used, the finished floor tends to look like a large jigsaw puzzle -- or what I call a "hodgepodge" -- but it truly is all according to individual customer tastes -- I suggest that you speak to any local flooring company in your area and ask if hey have such a pattern either on display somewhere in the shop or in pictures that their installers may have taken during such a installation because it truly is a good idea to get some kind of idea / prospective on this type of pattern before installing it. Other than the look of the final floor, there are no real construction or structural concerns with installing the hardwood in such a pattern.

-

Please press a positive rating above this chat box so will b paid for my time assisting you this evening. THANK YOU

-

JOHN N.

Expert:  Susan Latta replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have a lot of experience with this sort of thing and can give you a definite answer for what would look best to your eye, or if you plan on reselling of the house at some point.

Always when considering your flooring materials, think "continuity and consistency" because visually it is most comforting to the eye; it's also what the majority of people like. Unless you were going to do something drastically different, such as making a statement floor, of unique, specialty woods or patterns (such as, large squares placed on a diagonal with real granite or marble centers--that's just one example--but these floors usually cost a lot of money because they are showpieces.)

I would go to www.houzz.com and search "specialty wood floors" for a better visual of what I'm saying.

Otherwise, I would recommend that you stick with the same 2 1/4-inch wood planks in the same, or very close, color.

Are you still there?

If you feel I answered your question, please kindly give me a rating. Thank you, Susan