NCCPrime
NCCPrime,
Experience:  President at NCC Prime Construction Inc.
89387220

I have water dripping inside my fireplace ond onto the

Customer Question

Customer: I have water dripping inside my fireplace ond onto the fireplace insert. I think I have a buildup of ice inside the chase. I believe the warm air from inside the house is rising, through the fireplace and then condensing at the top of the chase. The house is two stories. I've had the roof and fireplace chase checked and there are no leaks. I had one person agree with my diagnosis and recommend turning off the pilot light in the fireplace which I've done. I am wondering if I need added roof ventilation. The fireplace only drips when the weather gets near "0." We live in Grande Prairie Alberta where the winter temps are sub-zero. The house is 17 years old.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We have no problems other than when the winter weather warms to just around "C." We have had the problem several years now and always when the weather warms up.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Home Improvement Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: The fee is reasonable but I think by typing this I have diagnosed the problem and probably need to discuss it with a local roofing company. I think I need to add additional air exhaust outlets on my roof. Thank you.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  NCCPrime replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to the service. I will agree with your diagnosis as well. Turning off the pilot might completely stop the issue. As far as the roof ventilation I am not certain whether it is going to help or how much it will help in regards ***** ***** problem. Of course, the concept is right. Heat that accumulates inside your attic might also contribute to the condensation at the top of the chase. Do not forget that warm air holds more water than cold air. In addition, proper ventilation is really important for every house so even if it does not help with the condensation it will help in other areas such as preserving your roof (I am assuming you have roof shingles). Please let me know if you have further questions. Also, let me know whether the issue is resolved after you turned off the pilot. In addition, I would really appreciate your feedback by clicking accept and rating my service. Best of luck!!