Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

I have foam insulation offgases in my attic used your

Customer Question

i have foam insulation offgases in my attic used your product and it didni help attic is 28x59x4 feet used 2 room schockers didnt work what can i do
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Room shocker and orher odor eliminators will not work for removing foam insulation off gasses as you have already

found out.

The only way to remove the gasses is to remove the source, which is the foam. The foam makes the gas continually .

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

The foam can be cut out if it is just between the rafters or ceiling joists. If it is inside a wall the wall has to be opened up and the foam removed. All the wood needs to have as much foam residue scraped off as possible. There are some companies that specialise in this.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Replace the foam with another type insulation to assure you will not have a repeat of the same situation.

Spray foam insulation does and can work but there are certain situations where this problem occurs.

The company that installed the foam may be willing to help

Provided it was professionally installed.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

There is no product that can mask or eleminate the off gasses as they are being renewed and generated from inside the foam. This process should haved stopped when the foam properly cured . If it does not cure properly the offgasses will continue to manifest.

That is why total removal is the only way to correct the problem.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

In severe cases involving whole house insulation people have had to abandon their homes until the situation is resolved. It is not an inexpensive process but total removal is the only way to assure the problem will be resolved.

I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.