John Contractor
John Contractor, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed GC, OSHA Certified, 25 Years Experience Commercial & Residential
22184762

I have a leak that cannot be found...it leaks only when it

Customer Question

I have a leak that cannot be found...it leaks only when it rains...it is an old house probably over 100 years old, but in good condition........it was a funeral parlor years ago, it has marble stairs, and a tunnel barrel entrance that leads to a huge yard.....I would love to have the house renovated as it is a very interesting house....it has been converted to a four family.....Ive owed this house since 1972 My husband used to take good care of every problem that would arise, but he passed away 6 years ago, so now Im responsible to make the repairs....if this is a house you would like to renovate please feel free to call(###) ###-#### ***** Pacheco Thank you!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  John Contractor replied 10 months ago.

-

Hello there --

-

Can you tell me when the last time that you had the roof redone / replaced ? It sounds like either a large portion of the roof or the entire roof needs to be stripped and redone and if you have owned the house for more than 40 years and the roof has not had any major work like this done then you are most likely just throwing away good money every time you have tried to find the leak and patch it.
​-

That being said, to find the leak you need to have at least a two person roofing crew come to your house and use a garden house over a period of several hours to water down various parts of the roof, section by section, until the leak is found. It is usually not a quick process and most roofing contractors and general contractors will charge a few hundred dollars for the process (one days pay for two men is about $400 to $500 depending upon travelling distance and how long they are actually working on the problem at your location and particularly if it takes up most of a work day). Once that is done and the leak found, it is only then that the contractor can sit down and tell you exactly what the roof needs and whether or not it is better to patch again or replace it all (or come up with some solution in the middle of that if money is an issue for repairs).

-

I am located in Massachusetts (and a licensed contractor) and am wondering where in MA you are located as well (the telephone area code is a MA exchange so I am assuming that you are located in MA). I am about 20 miles south of Boston and am happy to take a look if you are within about 50 miles of me. Please let me know in your response. However, no matter what contractor you eventually use on the roof, my suggestion is that you let the next contractor know about the garden hose method I described above and do not agree to any patching jobs again until the contractor uses the garden hose method and tells you specifically where the leak is coming from and going to.

-

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have more questions on the roof issue and if not, can you please press a positive rating above so that I will be paid for my time assisting you today. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star, or the fourth or the fifth star on the right in the ratings section above. Pressing a positive rating will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to the website to let it know to pay me for my time assisting you today. THANK YOU VERY MUCH and HAPPY NEW YEAR.

-

JOHN