Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I just purchased a 20 gallon electric, Rheme hot water from

Customer Question

I just purchased a 20 gallon electric, Rheme hot water from Home Depot. I purchased this because the 10 gallon tank I put in in September was not sufficient for us. I own a hair salon, and was hoping to have enough hot water for one client's shampoo, but by the end of washing this clients hair we would have cold water. So I was sure this new 20 gallon would be sufficient to get us through at least one clients shampoo without worrying about having cold water for them toward the end. But I found, this 20 gallon still gave us the same problem, having cold water before finishing with one client only. I really thought the 20 gallon would give me double the time, and no worries at all about running into cold water with one client only.
What do you think is the problem? This 20 gallon, seems no different than the 10 gallon we have been using, definately not getting double the time with this, seems the same and yet I just spent another $350 for this, and not much difference.
Thank you for any suggestions or professional thoughts on this. And it came out cold at first as it has been very cold here in N. Calif., so maybe this very cold weather is affecting it some, but still I'd expect double time with the 20 vs. the 10, and it seems almost the same.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Have you measured the demand required to correctly size the water heater you would need?