Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I have a Geni garage door opener. How do I adjust the

Customer Question

I have a Geni garage door opener. How do I adjust the switches?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am a Home Improvement Contractor with a vast array of knowledge in many fields including repairs done in a span of 38 years. I can help you with your difficulties but I will need some information and I will ask you questions that I will need specific answers for. I am asking you to help me, help you. So if I can ask you to take the time and answer, to the best of your knowledge. I am not on there, on site, and it is that much more difficult for me, or anyone for that matter, to diagnose what the problem could be. That way, with your help, finding out what is right with it, is a step to eliminate what is wrong with it ......sometimes it may be one of a hundred things but together with your patience we can work toward a goal to get this issue resolved. If I may ask:

1-) The make and model and/or number of the unit in question and do you have the manual for it?

2-) how old it might be and if you are the original owner

3-) can you tell me if you have a working wall control and how many remotes

4-) do you know where the OPENER MOTOR unit controls are?

5-) has there been any kind of disruption that may have changed the dynamics with this opener....any wiring or perhaps the kids playing there or a recent power outage

6-) do you feel that you are capable of making simple adjustments and more than mechanical in making some harder ones if necessary?

we can start here and with the info you provide I will add steps toward our target as we proceed by our correspondence

Thank you for your help and assistance

eddie

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Model 2060L-07/M 1/2 H.P. No manual.
8-10 years old
Wall control is erratic. No remotes.
No
Frequent power outages.
Yes
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

Okay I am a little confused ..........you are asking to adjust the switches but you say you have no remotes ........what switches do you mean and what is it that you want to adjust? ...........did you mean to program a remote?...........fix the wall transmitter?........or the safety sensors?..........the down force .............please advise or explain your situation or what is happening

thank you

eddie

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The switch that ends the travel and reverses the direction for the next time.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

do you mean you click the remote or wall switch and the door goes almost all the way down but doesn't and then reverses?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

okay you are having a problem with the safety sensors...........can you tell me if they have a indicator light on each and if they are solid or blinking

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there are indicator lights and they are solid red, no blinking.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

if they are on solid like you say then we need to adjust the close force adjustment......I would need you to locate some things first

on the front of your opener there are a CLOSE and OPEN force turn adjustments

on the main bar there are OPEN limit switch gray and a CLOSE limit switch that is brown.....locate a set screw for these also ............let me know if you can find them and we will run through what has to be done next

thanks

eddoe

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, got it. I'm ready when you are.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

Great !! you got spunk I like that ......okay we are going to start with the down force or CLOSE ........on your opener turn the CLOSE adjustment to the left (counter clockwise) until it stops .......then close the door with the wall switch...........look on the bar and see if you are with-in that CLOSE limit.......if you are then we will go to open ...........but if it is reversing like you say before reaching the CLOSE limit then slightly increase CLOSE adjustment (clockwise) ...........if door reverses after contacting floor, loosen the set screws and move CLOSE limit (on the bar) toward the opener

Then do the same thing with the OPEN making sure it is with-in the OPEN limit in the bar.......don't forget to snug the set screws back in place

it should seem pretty straight forward but if you have problems with it just get back to me

Thanks

eddie