AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

Can not program my Genie garage door opener. Followed

Customer Question

Can not program my Genie garage door opener. Followed instructions on the owners manual but it will not work. When programming the door will only close about one foot or less then stop and it keeps doing the same thing until I get the garage door closed all the way. Nothing is obstructing the safety sensors and I cleaned the lenses.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 11 months ago.

Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

Please provide some details on the situation.

You state you cannot program, but it doesnt mention what is being programmed?

Is this an entire new opener installation?

Or just adding a remote or keypad?

As much detail on the situation as possible helps to pin down the possibilities.

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The system was working fine since it was installed. A couple of weeks ago I opened it, then it would not close the program lights turned red. I then tried to reprogram the system but it will only close or open the door a few inches so I have to keep pressing the down button till it closes. When I hold the down or up button it will stop and I have to press it again until I get the door closed or open all the way. After I get it closed the icon buttons go back to red.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Don't know if you got my response?

Ok, thanks.

Get the actual make and model number from the label on the opener head in the ceiling.

It sounds like a possible RPM sensor, but wish to get all the specs and be sure

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok not home right now but I will send you that info when I get out of work in about 3 hrs.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok it's a genie silent max 1000 model #3042

Ok, thanks.

What programming was attempted on the unit?

It appears that the limits are way off and it needs to be reset once again.

Do you have the manual to follow programming the travel?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried the closing and opening program on pages 6 and 7. I have the manual at home
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 10 months ago.

Ok, thanks.

So, does it program properly and give the confirmation as stated in the manual at each step?

Or at which exact step does it not respond?

Thanks

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried reprogramming the unit by following the instructions on the manual pages 6 thru 9. This is what's happening. Both the long light and dot light are steady red. I press the down button and the long light turns blue. I then release it and the long light starts flashing blue . I then press it and keep it pressed to close the door, the door moves about 5 inches then stops. I then release the down button and the long blue light keeps flashing. So I press it again and the door will move another 5 inches and stop again. I have to keep doing this till the door is completely closed. It's the same process when I try opening it. If you press the square button it goes back to double red.

Ok, thanks.

Based on the information, the opener is not going into program mode.

See the picture below to verify it is the same as your manual.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
this is on the manual , but did not try. When I get home this afternoon. I will try this and let you know the outcome.

Ok,

Very good

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok tried the instructions you sent and it still only closes a few inches then stops tried it a few times and still does the same thing.

Ok,

Please provide the information below!

When you are programming the up and down settings, IS THE OPENER ACCEPTING ALL THE PARAMETERS?

It is not possible to use the wall button to operate the opener UNLESS the opener accepts the programming.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It accepts the programming up to the point where I need to close it then it will only close a few inches then stop and I have to keep pressing the down button till I get it closed all the way.

Ok,

Since the close is the first step in programming, can you use the up and down buttons to get the door closed, then press the set button, to move on to the open setting?

Might also, unplug the unit for 10 minutes and then plug it back in and start over to set all the electronics back where they were possibly if the logic board is hung

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The two red lights are on steady so it will not let me close or open the door. I will try unplugging the unit and see it it will rest the program board. I have also tried go through the process to close and open the door but it only closes a few inches then stops. When I press the set button after that it goes back to the two red lights

Ok, thanks.

If unplugging for a while and then re-initiating power again doesnt allow to program the door, it appears the main board has failed unfortunately.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I will check that out this afternoon when I get home from work. I will let you know then.

Ok, very good, thanks