Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I am going to finish a stub wall acrossed a bedroom and

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my name is***** am going to finish a stub wall acrossed a bedroom and install a regular 2-6 by 6-8 pre hung door. stub wall is 47/8 in thick. would this thickness be 3.5 2x4 and 5/8 in sheetrock both sides plus skim coat of 1/16th in each side?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Just trying to determine the construction now existing so I can plan my work and materials. Prop is in phoenix area.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Home Improvement Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Unless this is a firecode/rated wall the wallboard is 1/2" not 5/8" other than that your OK.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I thought it strange to have 5/8 sheetrock on an interior wall but seems it would have to be if wall is 4 7/8 in thick?
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

What is the point of the 4 7/8" thick wall reference?

Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

One other thing I should mention, skim plaster is more like 1/8" thick not 1/16"