Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I just purchased 2 new Lift Master garage door openers. I

Customer Question

I just purchased 2 new Lift Master garage door openers.
I have an additional Liftmaster garage door opener which is working fine.
Having trouble programming my 2 new ones.
When I hold the orange Learn button which is supposed to lite up it does not lite up?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

There should be an indicator light and then you press the button on what item you are trying to program and then did it say to press the learn button again for this unit?...........do you have the manual ?

I am required by JA to ask to be rated if any kind of assistance is offered. If I may add, that many people think the payment they placed is sent to me after I answer their question, but, it is held by JA until you give me a positive rating and then JA credits me for my time working with you.
Thanks for the opportunity to help you out and feel free to come back to this question any time after rating and your position will be saved.

eddie

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have the instructions on how to program the remotes to to the receiver. I followed them as instructed. The video I just watched says when you press the orange Learn button it will stay on for 30 seconds. It does not lite up at all....
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

even though it doesn't lite up have you tried continuing the process?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I hold the remote button down the lite in the unit will flash but nothing else happens. Garage door still will not open.0n my old remote everything works fine...
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

okay maybe we can start from the top because I am a little confused now.......you said you purchased two new openers..........do you have a 3 door garage? ......or a 2 door and replaced both but are using the old remote opener, and it is working on the new opener............also have you replaced the sensors or left the old ones?

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

have you changed the dip switches or code on the opener?...........and could you provide me with the model number

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have 1 garage door with one garage door opener. those are all working fine. The 2 new remote openers I purchased are to put in my wife's car and to put on the my motorcycle.
So when the 2 new remotes are properly set up I will have a total of 3 remote openers able to open up my 1 garage door.
Problem seems to be that the Orange Learn lite on my garage door does not lite up for 30 seconds so I can program the 2 new remotes. If I press the remote opening button the Learn lite will flash but it will not open the door.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
971LM is the model number of the remote controls.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

so what you're saying is you purchased 2 REMOTE CONTROLS and NOT openers...........okay if this is the case a lot of times the remote you purchase might not work with your model opener, or the parts (sensors) associated with it ......maybe they told you it did but there is a possibility it won't............Where did you purchase these remotes? and are they a genuine Liftmaster part or a universal type remote ?........I will punch up your model number in the meantime

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
both new remotes are LiftMaster Security + remote controls. They match exactly the remote I currently have.
Bought them on Line from Simi Valley Ca.
Model # *****
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

okay what I think we should try next is to reset everything and start all over..........including the opener...........unplug it for a good minute and then back in try to reset the new remote first.........which is the learn button and the indicator should light up ...........then click the button on the remote ..........and the opener should flash and you should hear two clicks............lets see if that one works first............see if the old remote works without us doing anything to it next and let me know where we are at

thanks for your help here

eddie

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok i just unplugged and replugged it back in.
Old remote works fine still.Still nothing on the new remotes but flashing lite. Orange Learn button still does not lite up to set up new remotes
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

sorry for the delay I had a phone call...........this is odd ...........okay let's try once again but take the battery out of the old remote this time and leave it out.......then run those steps again please

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

actually we know we can program the old remote so lets expunge all of the codes.........unplug again and put it back then hold the learn button for about 10 seconds the indicator light will go out andd then we will reprogram but still leave the battery out of the old one we'll do that last

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok will advise.
unplugged it. plugged it back in.
same result. Learn Lite flashes but thats it.
Old unit battery is still taken out.
Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

so nothing is working right now correct?........if this is the case something is not letting us program these..........you will have to call the manufacturer or I can give you another number as a great source for this type of issue.........NORTH SHORE ***-***-****.........I am really sorry I couldn't resolve this for you ..........but if you could let me know what the end result might be

Happy New Year

eddie

please let me know that you reprogrammed the old opener alright