Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have ripped all of the shingles off of one side of my

Customer Question

Hello, I have ripped all of the shingles off of one side of my house, replaced the decking, and placed the 30# ***** paper down - I am working with only one other person and it looks like it is about to rain. What do I do? I have watched videos about tarping the roof, but it is a hip roof with 2 eves that are difficult to navigate via tarp. Rain is in the forecast until after new years so I need to find a week and half solution to wait for the weather to clear up...
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

A tarp is your only option if you can't get back to it for that long. Overnight and a moderate rain with little or no wind might be ok with just the felt. You'll have to fold and tie off the tarp at the hip.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Rick, What do you mean by fold and tie off at the hip? Do I nail the tarp down to the decking with the capped nails??
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also, should I cut the tarp around the 2 vents or use 2 different tarps?
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

You nail the tarp to the soffit or fascia. Roofing nails are ok. With a gable roof you can just drape the tarp over the roof but with a hip you have to fold it back (kind of like gift wrapping a box) then tie off the corner using at least 2 separate lines. Go right over the vents. Best to put a blanket or furniture pad over the vents to prevent them from tearing the tarp.

Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

I should add that you need to keep at least the main stack vent open to the air. We put an elbow on the top of the vent which will also protect the tarp