Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have plaster walls in my bathroom. I'd like to put

Customer Question

I have plaster walls in my bathroom. I'd like to put tile 14 inch, high around the toilet area. Some plaster is broken at the floor. I saw on youtube that you put wall tile directly on the wall. I think that means I put some repair material on the breakage
and tile right to the wall. Do I do this before I put the backer board in for the tile floor? Everything I saw looks like the wall is done before the floor. I suppose I could put backer board on the wall too, but I think it would look thick. My plan is to
put sink vanity in on subfloor first. Then to measure the clearance of the new toilet and put the tile on the wall then lay the backer board for the floor, then tile the floor, then install the new toilet. Please comment and tell me if this is the right way
to do it.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You can't tile directly on a plaster wall. You either have to remove the plaster and install backer board or you could use 1/4" backer over the plaster but that would leave a 1/4" gap at the top of the tile where it stops on the wall which you could hide with a tile or wood molding. You must remove the vanity and the toilet before you tile the floor. Walls are usually tiled first so as not to damage a newly tiled floor.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks.I have both vanity and toilet removed. All that remains in there is the bathtub. I have 1/4 " backer board for the floor. I'll put that on top of my sub floor. I can put all of my backer board in then put the wall tile on first. I thought it would be better solution than putting wood floor trim back on crumbling plaster. Then have it higher behind the toilet for easy cleaning.I have seen youtube videos where the vanity is in place when the floor is tiled. I have the vanity out now. So you are saying put the vanity and sink in on top of the tile?
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

How thick is the sub floor? Yes, vanity and toilet go on top of the tile. You'll probably need to build up the height of the toilet flange so it's above the top of the tile. You can use a flange extender kit for this purpose (see attached pic).

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sub floor is 1/2 inch plywood.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

I suspect your subfloor is more than just 1/2" plywood at least it should be. The subfloor is the flooring beneath the underlayment (from the top of the floor joists)or in this case backer board. So if the top layer is 1/2" there's usually another layer of 5/8" ply beneath it. If there isn't then tile industry standards call for at least 1 1/8" of wood beneath the tile.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The sub floor is on top of 3/4 inch wood planks that sit on the first floor supports. I have a basement.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it's the joists, then the 3/4 inch planking, then the 1/2 inch sub floor. I'll put the 1/4 inch backer board on top of that, then tile.
Expert:  Rick replied 11 months ago.

That will work. I'd appreciate a favorable rating