Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor
Experience:  owner of Island Pro-Craft
90350505

I need to add a partition (20' ) to seal off a section of

Customer Question

I need to add a partition (20' long) to seal off a section of home for an adult/baby room. I need to sound proof the interior wall including this parition, an possible the floor. What is my best option / cost to do so?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

foam insulation and double sheet might be the most cost effective........keep in mind you can really do an overkill and it will only drive the price up...........if you can give me an idea what type of noise you are trying to baffle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

baby crying - thin walls can already here noise in this room downstairs. This is a 2nd floor and so we want to isloate the noise form rest of the house.

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

I have a few more questions ......... where is the baby on the 2nd floor or lives below you ?........on that 1st floor is the ceiling open to install insulation?...........and how high is it from floor to ceiling there? 8 feet?..........the 20' wall is going on the floor where the baby is? and will it have a doorway in it?

I am assuming this is your home and you have a renter with a tot...........I want to proceed in the direction that will give you the noise reduction that you need but also be cost effective in a residential application........if you can get back to me with these answers I can formulate a response given this criteria

thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Actually its my daughter who instead of moving out needs her own space for her and her baby. The wall will have a door and the ceiling is 8 feet on the first floor. the room under the apartment is a family room and office already dry walled ceiling. Even may a soundproof heavy carpet in the room- if that exists to go with the walls sound proofed. There are 2 exterior walls so they won't need sound proofing.the room is off to the left at top of steps.

Expert:  Eddie replied 1 year ago.

I have some kind of idea but what you gave me only clouded it more so I need each question I asked to be answered specifically, including the ones previously..........except I understand the ones for the drywall on the ceiling and the 8ft height questions...........your drawing on the right has to be the first floor, this is where you will be living?.......I am trying to figure out that your daughter will be living on the second floor and at the top of the steps there is a hall that goes to a living space for her and a hall to the left for the baby's room with a door there?............do you need to sound proof below this too? ............and if that is the baby's room on the left.... exactly what space is below that? your bedroom?.......or is that drawing on the left which is only a piece of a drawing for me over that first floor really overlap the drawing on the right?.........and if you can mark off or tell me which is the new 20 foot wall..............consider also when the baby gets older if they do have a living room or space above yours........ toddlers have a tendency to do a lot of "jackhammering" when at work or play........I hope I didn't confuse it more but I do need to know the specifics. thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Give me half day to answer

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

the right has to be the first floor, this is where you will be living? first floor is the living room/office underneath the baby/daughters room...your daughter will be living on the second floor and at the top of the steps there is a hall that goes to a living space on the right of the hall for her/baby .....baby/daughter share a large bedroom that will have a temp divider for the baby.... exactly what space is below that? living room/office .and if you can mark off or tell me which is the new 20 foot wall..the 20ft wall will extend the half wall at top of steps back , this newa wall will be the right side of the hallway. Let me know if you have a clear vision of what Im working with..yes sound proofing to the space below and the new 20ft wall is our goal. directly above the xmas tree is the attic (on same floor as the baby/daughter room so that wall too needs sound proofing. straight back to wall ..it will go in front or join through that 2x2 column.

Expert:  Eddie replied 12 months ago.

I do have more questions for you to answer and then I will include some recommendations

1-) as you are walking up the steps the door at the top what does that lead to and do YOU need access to it?

2-) same question for what I think is a door to the right of that. I can’t tell from your pictures but it would be next to the heat vent also

3-) that huge square column is that the chimney stack?

Recommodations:

I would do this in phases, the reason being is to see what alterations to your home would provide you with the most sound tolerance level that you seek. Again as you climb the stairs the wall that you are installing would have a pre-hung door. You can have it be left hand swing to open against the column or right swing by the back wall. The wall would consist of 2x3 wood or steel stud constriction. Layered with 2-1/2 to 3 inch sound batt insulation. Using resilient metal channel and then double layers of half inch drywall. The half wall is probably 2x4 construction so it will probably be only sound batt and one layer of drywall, unless you plan on redoing it. Use weather stripping on the door and this should cut down the noise by a considerable margin. I would definitely give it a while, maybe when the baby gets to be a toddler, before going to the next phase which would be to use blown in insulation in the floor joists downstairs. It doesn’t look like there is any recessed lighting in your office living area so it would not present a fire hazard. You can get crazy here too by ripping down the drywall, sound batt and resilient channel. Or a drop ceiling with sound batt and acoustical tiles, but that would give your home a commercial look. The good thing is it is not a bedroom below so you might be able to tolerate the daytime noise. I hope I explained this to you well, if not send your questions back in a reply.

Thanks

eddie

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Answering your questions-

1-) as you are walking up the steps the door at the top what does that lead to and do YOU need access to it? That door at the end of the hallway stairs straight back from top of stairs is to another room that will be the new office space as the one downstairs used by the 11yr old as a bedroom used to be the office.

2-) same question for what I think is a door to the right of that. I can’t tell from your pictures but it would be next to the heat vent also...the door next to the pink doll house is to the attic (2nd floor above part of living room on 1st floor and extends over the garage)

3-) that huge square column is that the chimney stack?. no that appears to be a venting duct as there is not fireplace underneath.

For soundproofing wood or steal studs? and what can I do on floor to soundproof? I plan to remove the half wall or build on to it if I need more space for sound proofing.. As far as wht we discussed is soundproofing expensive and and ballpark cost in materials do you estimate?

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

You can use either wood or steel the cost is relatively the same…….you would have to be knowledgeable on steel commercial constriction…see my reply above for the first floor soundproofing…..for soundproofing the 2nd floor wall ……..sound batt and resilient channel would cost around 100.00

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Does the Bart go between studs? What does it secure to before drywall is put up?

Expert:  Eddie replied 11 months ago.

not in between..........across the studs...............If you would be so kind consider a rating now.........thank you