Machinc
Machinc, General Contractor
Experience:  Has written home improvement articles since 2008. Earned South Carolina Residential Builders License in 1991.
75209918

Linear AK-11 Front Gate Opener: Because of overcast

Customer Question

Linear AK-11 Front Gate Opener:
Because of overcast conditions, the main gate box lost the charge on the battery. We had to push the gate open and closed several times until the sun recharged the battery.
The keypad is beeping constantly and the door will not open or close. By the keypad entry or the remote fobs.
Category: Home Improvement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I push close in the main box (not the key pad) the gate opens.
If I push open, the beeping stops.
Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

If your solar chargers have not had any problems in the past it could be your batteries / battery are weakened.

you can test and see if a regular charger will bring the battery back up.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Disconnect the solar charger when charging with a non solar charger. If the battery will not recover then replacing it should solve the problem. If equipped with two 12 volt batteries charge them seoarately and replace both if one is bad.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

This is a link with information you may find helpful.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

Many 24 volt systems use two 12 volt batteries placed in series.

Expert:  Machinc replied 1 year ago.

I have seen 24 volt slow chargers fail in just a few years but if wired to charge on a daily basis they seem to last longer. I have seen three years or longer without a problem. The more common problems with solar chargers is their inability to recover a battery if it has become fully discharged. As far as maintaining a charge they do pretty well but an extra boost is needed every once in a while with some models